Growing up in Mexico, I would typically eat breakfasts that were far more filling than my American friends did. One of my favorites that can be easily made with ingredients found in any American grocery store is molletes. With cheap pantry staples like bread, beans, and any topping’s you’d like, anyone can make this quick, authentic, and filling breakfast.
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 5 min
- 2 slices of bread (stale bread works great too)
- 1/2 cup of refried beans
- toppings of choice, these are some of the traditional ingredients:
- pickled onions
- cheese (Cotija, Oaxaca, Mozzarella, or whatever you prefer)
- thinly sliced jalapeño peppers
- chorizo (or bacon bits, if you can’t find chorizo nearby)
- diced tomatoes
- deli meat
- bell pepper slices
- fresh greens
- Toast the bread. While the bread toasts, prepare as many ingredients as you’d like on your toast. This is also a good time to pop the refried beans in the microwave. This is a great recipe to make with your kids once the toppings are prepared.
- Spread your beans on the toast, about 1/4 cup per bread should suffice. Add your toppings of choice (don’t let tradition limit you) and enjoy.